French is one of the most passionate, melodic, living, recognizable and beautiful languages in the world. Countless magnificent literary works are written on it. In addition, this language is recognized as an official in 29 countries!
Not only love literature is available in French. The Little Prince written by the French author is perhaps one of the most popular books about humanity. The French Medical Encyclopedia comprised 1,200 pages is equally well known. Finally, who hasn’t read out the novels of Alexandre Dumas, the author of the world’s most famous adventure stories.
But still, French romance novels are the icing on the cake of French literature. A series of 13 books about the adventures of Untamable Angelique written by Anne and Serge Golon got a resounding success around the world. Both women and men believed in insane love. This novel was read out and worshiped.
In the 17th century, Cardinal Richelieu founded the Academy of the French Language which defines its national literary norms and rules to this day.
The great French such as Denis Diderot, Voltaire, Rousseau and Montesquieu worked in their native language. Scientific treatises, poems, plays and even the world’s first Encyclopedia created by these authors are written in almost etalon French.
The French language in numbers
French is spoken by about 250 million people, 75 million of whom consider it their mother tongue. This language ranks 14th in the world prevalence rating.
Just over 20% of all world literature issued in a year is printed in French, and in the USA about 30% of all published books are translated from French.
Although the language isn’t in the TOP-10 most widespread languages, it ranks high on the world’s literary arena.
World popularity of French books
Books published in French appear in all tops (the TOP-200 best books according to BBC, the TOP-100 best books in the world) and in lists of the best literary works in the history of the script.
TOP-5 interesting facts about the French language
- The variant of the language spoken in Quebec is so different from the literary French that the people of France seldom understand it.
- The longest sentence in French contained 823 words was found in Victor Hugo’s novel Les Miserables.
- From the standpoint of learning French, Georges Perec’s novel La disparition is considered the most interesting book. Its peculiarity is that none of the words contains the letter E, although it is the most used letter in French. In the translations of this book into other languages the letter E was also not used.
- The well-known Russian set expression “grey cardinal” came from French, but actually it is an inaccurate translation of the phrase “graying cardinal” / “gray-haired cardinal”. Éminence grise literally means “graying eminence”. There are the incidents that may result from the inaccurate translation.
- The Old French language so much boasted of by the French actually is the classic French language of its coming of age with Dutch and even Celtic words and a bit unusual phonetics for today.
OrdenTop makes the best translations of books
We are a team of people who are in love with French. Most of the best translators of France work with us. Only the best native speakers from all over the world do translations into other languages!
Skill, experience and a wealth of knowledge allow us to do the best translations of books from and into French!
And every word of the book we translate will be a real echo of the French soul.